In honor of American Heart Month, my next few posts will be heart related. I’ll start with some fantastic heart facts, and several heartfelt quotes.
I’ll bet you didn’t know that:
- Our heart pumps around 2,000 gallons of blood every stinking day.
- Our heart beats around 100,000 beats per day, 35 million times a year, and around 2.5 billion beats in an average lifetime
- The heart is not on the left side of our chest – it’s in the middle, hanging out between our lungs.
- Have a big heart is great figuratively. Literally? Not so much. An enlarged heart is a symptom of heart disease.
- Most heart attacks occur on Monday, the day we love to hate. No surprise there.
- A guy’s heart is around 25% bigger than a woman’s.
- A woman’s heart beats faster than a man’s.
- Guys, are you losing the hair on the top of your head? Watch out! Research shows that you have a higher risk of heart disease, especially if you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol levels. (I suggest you join Hair Club for Men, stat. If it’s still around, that is).
- The heart can continue to beat when separated from the body, as long as it has an oxygen source.
- Lastly, we all know that laughter makes us feel better about life. Health experts point out that laughing not only has emotional health benefits; it’s also great for our heart.
And because I love heartfelt quotes:
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)
Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye. (H. Jackson Brown, Jr.)
Despite everything, I believe that people really are good at heart. (Anne Frank)
I could hear my heart beating. I could hear everyone’s heart. I could hear the human noise we sat there making, not one of us moving, not even when the room went dark. (Raymond Carver)
Be the one who nurtures and builds. Be the one who has an understanding and a forgiving heart, one who looks for the best in people. Leave people better than you found them. (Marvin J. Ashton)
Everyday Health: 9 Amazing Facts about your Heart –
Health Line: Fun Facts about the Heart you didn’t know –
For further reading:
Amazing Heart Facts Infographic
Ellis, Marie. (July 2015) Can you Die from a Broken Heart –
Go Red for Women: Sleep and Heart Disease
Edited: February 10, 2018
©2017-2018 Vital Aging for Women