The best New Year’s resolution you can make for yourself is to make a commitment to take charge of your health and well-being. You can start by being compassionate to the woman you see in the mirror every day. It seems to me that many of us are able to be kind and loving toward others, but forget to give ourselves the same honor.
If you’re cruel and disrespectful to yourself, how can you make things better? I learned this the hard way; when I didn’t like myself, I made bad choices that affected my body and my state of mind. It wasn’t a pleasant way to live. Additionally, my attitude gave others permission to treat me badly. Thank goodness I finally figured out how to let go of my “old nonsense.” Any woman can do the same.
9 Ways to be good to yourself in 2018:
- Smile at that woman in the mirror.
- Learn to let go of negative self-talk. Replace it with words of strength and self-respect.
- Forget the past – but remember the lessons you learned from it.
- Make time for yourself to do things you enjoy.
- Forgive yourself for mistakes.
- Don’t hang around with other people who bring you down.
- Stand up for your beliefs.
- Empower yourself by taking personal responsibility for your actions – don’t make excuses.
- Nurture your mind, body, and soul with healthy foods, regular exercise, and lifelong learning.
This self-kindness and self-respect can help you reach those other resolutions: losing weight, starting an exercise program to enhance your body, quitting smoking to breathe easier, de-cluttering your space and your life – all the things that lead to a healthier you.
For further reading:
©2017 Vital Aging for Women